My goal is to make the job seeking public aware that problems like cyber attacks can lead to job opportunities. Links are provided to allow the reader to read the original information.
Cyber Attack : A Real Threat To Infrastructure
In March of 2012 Pike Research, a marketing and research firm issued a report“Smart Grid Cyber Security” where they discussed the $14 Billion investment needed in smart grid cyber security in the utilities sector. Here is a quote from that report that should widen your perspective on why this level of investment is needed:
“As some technologies, such as smart metering, near a decade of thought and deployment, the approach to cyber security has become more thoughtful. One thing, unfortunately, has not changed: cyber security is still way behind the attackers.”- Pike Research Senior Analyst Bob Lockhart
Natural Gas Pipeline Cyber Attack Shows Problems & Opportunity
In May 2012, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) revealed that hackers have made a concerted effort to attack natural gas supply controls systems. ABCNews and FOXDC both reported the attackers allegedly used social media, e-mail and other websites to target employees and lure them into divulging passwords to critical systems and sensitive information. My regular readers know that I have written about the emergence and importance of cyber security jobs before but now I want to reinforce how these jobs are more critical than ever. Here is why:
- It has been widely reported that utility companies may not have all of people and resources needed to avert future cyber attacks.
- Hackers are using more sophisticated methods to attack infrastructure related systems.
- As the smart grid build out continues, security will be a constant need
To get ahead of this threat, government agencies such as the FBI, DOD, technology, utility and energy companies are positioning themselves to hire hundreds (if not thousands) of computer security analysts and engineers. Some major colleges and universities like University of Maryland -Baltimore County (UMBC) have developed specific degree programs which are recognized by top employers.
What You Need to Do
If you are an IT professional or job seeker here are some tips that could help your career:
- Find out more information on the CISSP certification, job skills and training you need to qualify for these opportunities
- Find out which colleges and universities offer degrees and classes for this field
- Subscribe to credible resources which provide the latest information on industry trends
- Attend conferences and networking groups to meet other professionals who can open doors to the “Hidden Job Market”
- Investments in Smart Grid Cyber Security to Total $14 Billion Through 2018, Forecasts Pike Research (environmental-expert.com)
- Cyber Weapons Like Stuxnet A “Good Idea”, Ex-CIA Tells 60 Minutes (forbes.com)
- Stuxnet, Duqu Date Back To 2007, Researcher Says (informationweek.com)
- Smart Grid Cybersecurity Virtual Conference To Highlight New Technology (hintonhumancapital.com)
- LTE Support of the Smart-grid Solutions, Applications, and Market Outlook (environmental-expert.com)
- US warns over cyber attacks (myfoxdc.com)
- Feds Warn of Cyber Attack Targeting Natural Gas Firms (pcmag.com)
- Cyber Attacks Warning on Natural Gas (myfoxorlando.com)
- Companies ‘confident’ in their cyber security measures (premierlinedirect.co.uk)
- Oil and Gas Cyber Security (techweekeurope.co.uk)
- Security Central Exchange to Release Comprehensive Line of Cyber Security Solutions (prweb.com)
- US Cyber Attacks Up (fox2now.com)