This question came up after my last article on Smart Grid Cybersecurity. My definition of a green job is much broader than others because I believe green, environmental and infrastructure are all part of an integrated green economy. Information technology jobs in the green, environmental and infrastructure fields have a daily impact on business, the environment and our lives. My goal is to encourage more people to look at jobs in these industries. That is enough about my personal agenda, Here are the reasons why Smart Grid CyberSecurity jobs are green jobs.
- Cybersecurity protects the efficiency of the Smart Grid’s systems: The Smart Grid is a core component of the energy management and security strategy because it protects the Smart Grid’s communications, management and operations software systems from cyber attacks, espionage, and natural disasters. Our country, in its quest for energy independence and environmental sustainability can ill afford a disastrous situations like the one posed in the movie “Live Free or Die Hard” or large-scale blackouts like the Northeast Black Out of 2003. Cybersecurity people, programs and protocols will play a critical role to prevent them from happening.
- Smart Grid Cybersecurity will push new invention and innovation: A technological system of this magnitude cannot work on “cookie cutter” approaches, collaboration, implementation, project delivery, policies and standards. The companies involved in the IT portion of Smart Grid development will have to grow and adapt to the new security challenges. A well trained, knowledgeable workforce will be the most critical part of this process.
For those who are looking for potential job opportunities with the Grid, here are some general types of IT jobs which should see growth from Cybersecurity initiatives.
- Enterprise Architect
- Software Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Database Architect
- Business Analyst
- Hardware Engineer
I am sure there will be some who will have a different opinion. I welcome your comments on this topic. Let’s start a discussion.
- Smart Grid Conference Shows Big Progress And Projects (hintonhumancapital.com)
- Global Smart Grid Market to Invest $2 Trillion by 2030, peaking at $155bn in 2018, Predicts Memoori Research (environmental-expert.com)
- Utility Leaders to Discuss Importance of Smart Grid Customer Education and Engagement this Spring in California (environmental-expert.com)